Cummins is a world leader in the design, manufacture and distribution of engines, filtration and power generation products. We are headquartered in the United States, and have offices in hundreds of countries around the world. We recognize that your trust in us is a very important part of our customer relationship. As such, this online privacy statement is intended to inform you about our privacy practices and how you can control the way information about you is collected and used by Cummins. Please use the links below to access translations of this privacy statement and any applicable country-specific or service-specific additions to it.
Cummins respects and takes into account the major data protection principles and requirements in the countries where we operate. This includes the requirements that apply to the transfer of personal information from one country to another.
Scope of this Privacy Statement
Collection and Use of Non-Personal and Personal Information
For certain uses of our websites, Cummins collects non-personal information that does not identify you or anyone else. For example, we may collect anonymous answers to surveys, statistical information that helps us better understand how our website is used or the total number of requests that we receive for information about our products or services.
At other times, you may be asked to provide a limited amount of your personal information in order to fulfill a particular request. Those uses include the following in relation to our websites:
- Registering a Cummins product (such as in connection to our warranties)
- Submitting a question to us via an online form
- Asking for information about our products
- Signing up for a program or newsletter offered through our website
- Making purchases via our online store
- Applying for a job
- Connecting with us through social media
- Becoming an authorized supplier (and signing up through our restricted supplier portal)
- Participating in a survey through our website
The personal information that you choose to provide to us through our website is limited to that which is relevant for the type of service you are seeking from us. Depending upon your request, the data elements that we may require include the following:
- Email address
- Postal address
- Username or password
- Telephone number
- Engine serial number
- Name and contact details about your company (if purchasing on its behalf or in relation to shipping location)
- Demographic information
- Payment information
- Product preferences and purchases, including information to deliver those products or services
- Job application information (in relation to applying for employment with us)
- Geo-location data that you choose to provide, such as to locate a service center or distributor nearby
- Any additional information that you provide to us through our websites
- Other information you affirmatively allow a third-party service (such as a social media site) to provide to us
Use of Personal Information Gathered Online
We use the information that we collect through our websites for the following purposes:
- Fulfill your orders, requests and respond to your questions
- Provide you with services or offers that you have requested
- Process your payment for purchases or other services
- Communicate with you about Cummins products, services or support
- Update you on products, services and offerings
- Customize your interactive experience and/or to manage/improve our websites, products, and services
- Register you to receive emails or other information or materials (in accordance with laws)
- Register you for a promotion or to receive product literature (consistent with your request)
- Respond if you contact one of our customer service representatives
- Evaluate how our products, services, and sites are accessed and used
- Help us develop new products and services
- Manage our relationship with you
- Prevent and detect security threats, fraud or other malicious activity
If you choose to receive marketing emails from us, you always have the opportunity to “unsubscribe” from further email marketing messages from Cummins.
Like most websites, we collect information online through the use of “cookies” and other web analytics. Cookies are pieces of information stored directly on the computer that you are using. They do not identify the person using the computer or otherwise affect the computer, but rather tell us such things as how many users visited our website, the pages accessed and whether there were any problems or delays in loading pages. By collecting this information, we learn how to best tailor our websites to our visitors and ensure that they function properly.
Some cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around our website and use its features, such as accessing secured areas. Other cookies collect information about how visitors use the website (for instance, which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages). When combined with information collected when you register on a website, cookies allow us to welcome you back to the website or otherwise provide enhanced, more personal features.
Most browsers accept cookies automatically, but can be configured not to do so or to notify the user when a cookie is being sent. If you wish to disable cookies, refer to your browser help menu to learn how to disable cookies. Please note that if you disable cookies, you may be unable to access some customized features on our website and it may not work properly.
“Web beacons“ and similar technologies are tiny or transparent images that, for example, allow us and third parties to count the number of users who have visited a particular web page or to access certain cookies. When you access a page containing a beacon, you establish a communication with a web server, which collects certain information about your computer or device. This information may include your IP address, browser type, operating system type, and identifiers that have been stored in cookies. We may use beacons on our sites to count the number of visitors to our sites and to recognize users by accessing unique identifiers stored in cookies that we have set on their computers or devices. Being able to access these identifiers enables us to provide a personalized experience on our sites. We may also include beacons in advertisements or in email messages to determine how these are acted on.
Sharing Your Information with Others
We may share the information we collect with the following types of entities, including those which may be located outside your country of residence:
- Within Cummins. As a global organization with cross-border business lines, processes and infrastructures, Cummins may sometimes transfer personal information collected online to other Cummins-owned business entities in the U.S. and overseas. By accessing Cummins websites, registering for an account or service, or otherwise providing Cummins with your personal information, you consent to this transfer of your personal information throughout the global Cummins network of entities.
- Service Providers and Suppliers. Cummins retains service providers and suppliers to manage or support our business operations, provide professional services, deliver products, services and customer solutions, and assist with our product warranties. These providers and suppliers may be located in the U.S. or overseas. These parties may use the information that we entrust to them solely in conjunction with the specific services they provide to Cummins, and not for separate purposes. For example, some service providers may be involved in fulfilling orders for us or assisting us with our product warranties.
- For Legal Purposes. We may disclose information to third parties for legal or compliance purposes, such as when we are legally required to do so as well as to protect the safety and security of our websites, the users of our sites or others, or to prevent fraud.
- For Corporate Transactions. There may occasionally be strategic or other business reasons that prompt Cummins to sell, buy, merge or otherwise reorganize our businesses in some countries. Those corporate restructuring situations may involve the disclosure of personal information to prospective or actual purchasers, or the receipt of personal information from sellers. It is Cummins’s practice to seek appropriate protection of personal information in these situations.
- Otherwise With Your Consent. In addition to the sharing described or permitted by this privacy statement, we may share information about you with third parties if you provide consent to such sharing.
Except as described in this privacy statement, Cummins will not share the personal information you provide to Cummins with non-Cummins third parties without your permission, unless to: (i) respond to duly authorized information requests of law enforcement and governmental authorities; (ii) comply with any law, regulation, subpoena, or court order; (iii) investigate and help prevent security threats, fraud or other malicious activity; (iv) enforce/protect the rights and properties of Cummins or its subsidiaries; or (v) protect the rights or personal safety of Cummins, our employees, and third parties on or using Cummins property when allowed and in line with the requirements of applicable law.
If we share your data within our company or with service providers that we retain, we require them to uphold an equivalent level of protection for your data as that provided by Cummins.
Transfer of Information Out of Your Country
Consistent with this privacy statement and in accordance with applicable legal requirements, we may collect, transfer, store and process your information outside your country of residence. Please note that the data protection and other laws of countries to which your information may be transferred might not be as comprehensive as those in your country. Nevertheless, please note that Cummins has taken steps to ensure an adequate level of protection of your data irrespective of the country where it is transferred.
Keeping Your Information Secure
Cummins has adopted reasonable and appropriate physical, technical and administrative procedures and measures that are designed to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, maintain data accuracy, and ensure appropriate use of the information that you provide to us. Cummins retains data only as required or permitted by local law and while it has a legitimate business purpose. The personal information you provide us is stored on computer systems located in controlled facilities which have limited access. When we transmit highly confidential information over the internet, we protect it through the use of encryption and other safeguards.
Links to Other Websites
Social Media Use and Postings
You may also choose to interact with Cummins on various social media sites. Your use of these features may result in the collection or sharing of information about you, depending on the feature. We encourage you to review the privacy policies and settings on the social media sites with which you interact to make sure you understand the information that may be collected, used, and shared by those sites.
If you post, comment, or share personal information, including photographs, on any public forum, social network, blog, or other public communication platform, please be aware that any information you submit can be read, viewed, collected, or used by or other users of those sites, or used for purposes that neither you nor Cummins have control over. Cummins is not responsible for the personal information you choose to provide in these forums.
Cummins does not knowingly collect information from children as defined by local law, and does not target its websites to children. If we learn that we collected any information from children, we will purge it immediately, except for responding to a question or inquiry on a one-time basis from the individual. We encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities and interests.
Right of Access, Correction, and Objection
Cummins has implemented processes and policies to help keep your data accurately recorded. Consistent with applicable laws, we also provide individuals with reasonable access to personal information that they provided to Cummins and the reasonable ability to review and correct it or ask for anonymization, blockage, or deletion, as applicable. To protect your privacy and security, we take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access to your data. To view and change the personal information that you provided to Cummins you can return to the web page where you originally submitted your data and follow the instructions on that web page, or contact us through the information provided in this privacy statement or on our website. Cummins will respond to access requests in a timely manner, consistent with local requirements.
Changes To This Privacy Statement
If we modify this privacy statement, we will post the revised statement here, with an updated revision date. If we make significant changes to our privacy statement that materially alter our privacy practices, we may also notify you by other means, such as posting a notice on our corporate website and/or social media pages.
Your Consent to The Terms of This Privacy Statement
How To Contact Us
We value your opinions about us and our products, services and practices. If you have comments or questions about our privacy statement, or any concerns or a complaint regarding our collection and use of your data or a possible breach of your privacy, please email us at email@example.com, or write to us at our corporate headquarters in the USA at: Cummins Inc., 500 Jackson Street, Columbus, Indiana USA 47201. We will treat your requests or complaints confidentially. Our representative will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to address your concerns and outline options regarding how your concerns may be resolved. We aim to ensure that any complaints are resolved in a timely and appropriate manner.
This privacy statement was updated as of February 2016.