From the Condition Cuisine Series- Hypertension
This recipe is so adaptable. Spice it up as you like. Switch the flavor profile by swapping salsa or enchilada sauce for the marinara sauce; taco seasoning for the Italian seasoning; cilantro for the basil- etc.
Ingredients: Serves 2; easily doubled or tripled
- 2 bell peppers, washed
- PICK YOUR PROTEIN: 1 c. frozen meatless ‘meat’ crumbles/beans or lentils/browned or cooked lean ground meat
- PICK YOUR GRAIN: ½ c. cooked brown rice, white rice, quinoa, etc. (You can purchase already cooked quinoa/rice in the freezer section of the grocery store-blends are fine; just compare the sodium to the plain variety)
- ½ c. canned diced tomatoes- any flavor variety or plain
- ½ c. sliced mushrooms*- fresh or frozen
- 2/3 c. sliced zucchini*- fresh or frozen
- ½ c. shredded cheese- dairy free or regular- your favorite kind (divided 1/4 c. +1/4 c.)
- ½ -1 c. marinara sauce (divided-see recipe instructions)
- Seasonings: ½ tsp. each
- Garlic powder+ Onion powder + Italian seasoning
- 6-8 turns of a pepper grinder
- Fresh basil- a few leaves; sliced into thin ribbons
- Cut the bell peppers in half- top to bottom. Trim out the stem and seeds carefully. Place peppers in a microwave safe dish or dish. Microwave to par-cook for 2 minutes.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl to make the filling (using the half amount of cheese and only a ¼ c. marinara sauce). Use the remaining cheese and sauce for topping the stuffed peppers. Using a large mixing spoon, stuff the par-cooked peppers with the filling mixture, dividing equally between the pepper halves. Press filling down into the pepper with the back of the spoon. Top with remaining cheese. Spoon a little marinara sauce over/around the peppers.
- Top with a plate or similar dish that can act as a lid. Microwave for ~ 10-12 minutes until tender, hot, and cheese is melted. Typically, in 4-5 minute increments; then check.
*Substitute any veggies that you have or prefer
If you prefer to bake in an oven, it is not necessary to par-cook the peppers in the microwave. Cut the peppers and stuff them; bake in a preheated 400F. oven (covered with foil or lid) for about 45-60 mins until tender and cooked.